Charter for Compassion

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Observations about Taxes by a friend, Charles Reynes

On my pay-stub: Federal Taxes Withheld $597; State Taxes Withheld $145; Kaiser $959 emp. + $352 dist. Taxes are the price we pay to live in a civil society. Fear, violence, crime, and ignorance are also taxes. Losing a home to medical bills is a tax. Going to school with poor vision or tooth aches is a tax. These are taxes of a different nature: they diminish both society and the individual.

1 comment:

  1. I remember being struck by the categories on my German pay slip: in the upper-left corner was how much my position cost my employer. In the lower-right corner was my take-home pay. Somewhere in between were three slightly different numbers: income for tax purposes; income for pension purposes; income for unemployment-insurance purposes! And I thought, hey, it's all bookkeeping; what really matters is the number on the lower left!

    ReplyDelete